Saturday, February 28, 2009

Easy, Fast, Yummy

Saturday, February 28, 2009
Many of you know, I love to cook. I could literally spend hours preparing a tasty meal. Unfortunately, I don't usually have hours when I'm preparing dinner for a famished husband and three ravenous little ones so my creations aren't always an epicurean dream. In light of my quest for quick and delicious meals, my mom gave me this recipe for chicken pot pie. I know ... chicken pot pie? Very housewife circa 1959. Don't let that stop you, though. There's a reason it became a staple in the American household. Easy, fast, yummy. To those of you out there interested in a little help with your menu planning this week, try this out. Even the most novice of chefs will find this the easiest meal you've ever made. Bon Appetit!

Ingredients:
2 Pillsbury pie crusts (2 come in a box, found in the refrigerated section -- not the freezer)
1 whole pre-roasted chicken (found in the deli of any grocer)
2 cups of frozen veggies (peas, corn, carrots, green beans, etc.)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Unroll one pie crust and mold into the base of a pie tin. Shred the chicken into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir together. Pour chicken mixture into the pie shell. Unroll remaining pie shell and place on top, pinching the sides together to seal the crust. Place foil around the edges of the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 30 more minutes or until the pie is cooked all the way through. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Jennifer Hefti said...

Wow! What an easy and I am sure delicious recipe! Thanks, Deborah! Keep posting!

Amanda and Steve said...

Steve's mom told her about your mom's yummy chicken pot pie recipe - and now I have it! Thanks!

Ashley and Ezra said...

I'm jealous that you love to cook... I want to love to cook! haha but I really might give this recipe a try! I love your post about church with kids... I know I don't have kids so I can't be certain, but I look at the girls with kids and I think... did they even hear anything that was said today? I think you mothers will be blessed sooo much for teaching your kids by example and going to church every Sunday, even though it may take years for you to actually feel the spirit and learn something! I love kids and I look up to you for being a mom! You have such a cute family!

Taryn said...

i always kind of wanted to make chicken pot pie but was intimidated. thanks for sharing!!

Melanie said...

I'm so trying this! Post more recipes.

The Mathews Family said...

Okay I took your word for it and made it tonight for dinner. SUCCESS!!! Shelby Dawn ate seconds. Never happens. But really, chicken... creamy soup... soft veggies... what can go wrong? Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Marie Trent said...

Very nice. Now post the lemon-sauce-fusili recipe. :)

Jen said...

Oh girl after my own heart, I love cooking too! Can't wait to try out this recipe! Thanks!

Jacque and Mike Nielson said...

Sounds DELISH...I hope my hubby can make it taste as good as you make it sound! haha If only!