Saturday, October 18, 2008

My husband, the invalid ...

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Paul had knee surgery on Tuesday.  It turns out that he crushed his meniscus and tore his MCL while skillfully jumping off of a customer's retaining wall while holding a 100 lb. tree.  You may ask yourself, "Doesn't he have employees to do these things?"  The answer is yes, but at least this way our worker's comp insurance isn't going up.  

He's recovering nicely (a lot of pain, but that's to be expected).  He's upgraded from using a walker to a pimp cane now so that's always  fun.  The best part of the whole deal is that he has been issued a temporary handicap placard.  He says he likes to wear it around his neck so that people will know he's too incompetent to make any important decisions on his own.

See, there's always a silver lining.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Nice.

Hey Tawnia is so short she get's one for driving too!

By the way, the whole thing they could be able to teach the kids in school there fires me all up! GGrrr.

The Mathews Family said...

Oh I'm so sorry for your hubby but you totally made me laugh! I got this image of he and Grandma race walking with their canes! I wonder who would win that, by the way?! And darn if he couldn't have had the surgery a little closer to Christmas... Last year Kathryn had her blood clot and had to have a temporary sticker. I used that little sucker for all the great parking. Of course... only when Kathryn was with me.... of course...! I think everyone deserves a handicapped family member during the holidays at least once in a while, don't you?
-Jessica

katie speed said...

we were glad to hear the surgery went well.

Be careful... that placard will be addicting. I had one for 3 months and kept on using it because for some reason I felt entitled to its benefits. needless to say a cop eventually took it from me.

Paul and Deborah Speed said...

Oh don't you worry. Paul definitely gets his through the holiday shopping season. YAY!

Matt said...

I still think the can is just a fashion statement! He really is fine, he told me he is just working you for sympathy!