Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fast Sunday, or very very slow?

Sunday, February 7, 2010
I used to really enjoy the first Sunday of every month. In the LDS faith, it's a special Sunday where you fast for two meals and then have a meeting where individuals in the congregation can get up and bear testimony of the Savior, Jesus Christ. It can be a very spiritual day.

Recently, however, our testimony meetings have been heading in a different direction.

For example, today, 30 minutes of the meeting were eaten up by people sharing, in detail, their medical conditions. Why? Why do I have to sit there with my three children crawling all over me, in an overheated building, hoping to get some iota of spiritual fulfillment, and instead be left with how to inject yourself with insulin, why the doctors at UCLA are better than those in Santa Barbara, and how "idiot" (direct quote) doctors can't diagnose a paralyzed vocal chord?

Oh, sure. THAT was uplifting.

8 comments:

Dave and Janine Butters said...

You should try preparing yourself more for the meeting. Just teasing...I feel ya! I was just thinking about volunteering for nursery duty until my youngest is 18 months. Pretty hard to feel the spirit these days, whilst trying my best to ensure that the rest of the congregation can hear the meeting. Good luck with that! PS tell your peeps that Loma Linda is where its at ;)

Amanda and Steve said...

Ugh. We had someone play "Lean on Me" from her cell phone during her testimony today. She also sang along. Steve and I were hoping that would be the closing song.

The Mathews Family said...

Oh my goodness! Sorry... but I'm totally laughing at your meeting and Steve and Amanda's meeting! My ward out in New York was nutters! The missionaries in Yonkers were baptizing anyone with a pulse for awhile... and they came to our ward. Nice! One man... every Fast Sunday... would get up and walk straight to the piano... raise the lid on it... pound out a song while rocking back and forth to the feeling of the music... walk right up to the microphone and "close" his testimony. Did I mention that he never had a lesson in his life... let alone played by ear? LOL! Mormons... can definitely be weird.
-Jessica
PS... Next month you need to beat those same people up there so that you can share your experiences with a ripening cervix. At least give everyone in your ward some variety or something? *shrug* :o)

Jacque and Mike Nielson said...

Sounds like a typical testimony meeting to me! haha I'm up for a Girl's Trip anytime! Let's try to get something together soon!

Bethany Schoneman said...

deb that seriously had to have been the best testimony meeting ever! haha you are the best and you are showing your children the example to come to church on sunday.

Unknown said...

Gotta love it! Haha. -Steph

Lisa Marie Trent said...

we once had a guy get up and talk about the "gentials"..

Not the Gentiles, but the genitals.

Awesome.

Nat said...

One reason I still appreciate being in a singles ward. They make an effort to EMPHASIZE to bear your testimony about the SAVIOR. Let me know if you ever want to visit. :)